Johannes Agera "RSR"-bygge

Build forum for the fully 3D-printed Koenigsegg Agera RS in scale 1/10
JohannesaGunnarson

Johannes Agera "RSR"-bygge

Postby JohannesaGunnarson » Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Here are some pictures of my progress. I will try to update as I continue with my build.

To begin with I will do an aesthetic model. No electronics or motors. But I can always do that later :)

My printer has been running a lot in the past weeks. I began to print the monocoque. I used Clas Ohlsson black PLA filament for these parts due to the low price.

I had no problem printing these parts, and they fit together perfectly. And I must say that they look very similar to the real monocoque :D

The next part to print was the rear hood. These parts are now finished and are ready to be filled with normal filler and spray filler. And then paint on top of that. I will try to make these as perfect as possible to get a stunning end result :)

A little bit of stringing on this part since I swapped filament and didn't have perfect settings.

Things turn out great with AddNorth Textura filament!

I have tried to apply filler to some parts, and it seems to work OK so far :)

I have looked around on the real Agera RS's in the world to get some inspiration for what colour scheme to use with my car. And my favourite Agera is the "RSR" which resides in Japan. So if I get my hands on matching colours I will try to recreate this car in my model as much as possible. It will be challenging with masking and so on, but I will try :)

Update 26 May 2019.

I have now printed all of the parts for the rear hood and glued some of them together. I will not glue all of the pieces yet since I will be painting them separately.

The next parts to print will be the front hood. I had one minor problem when slicing one of the parts. It seems like the extra supports that are integrated into the part are too thin for my slicer to print correctly. Instead of making solid lines, it is printing some kind of infill instead. I have tried to change multiple settings in Cura including "print thin walls" with no luck. This might be a bug, but this should not be a problem for me since I have already printed the rear hood without extra supports.

The first piece of the front hood is printing right now as I write this :)

Last edited by JohannesaGunnarson on Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Johannes Agera "RSR"-bygge

Postby admin » Wed May 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Kul! Ja den där målningen är supersnygg! Ja jag kommer att öppna upp den här nivån av forumet publikt även för folk som inte är inloggade, så att de kan följa pågående projekt så därför skriver jag allt jag lägger upp på engelska. Men jag kommer inte att öppna den här delen förens jag lagt upp alla STL'er och gjort mer instruktionsmaterial. Jag ska lägga upp en tråd med mitt bygge också med så mycket bilder som möljligt eftersom det kan vara till hjälp.

JohannesaGunnarson

Postby JohannesaGunnarson » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:34 pm

While the printer is printing out the rest of the front hood, I have started to apply spray filler to some parts. It seems to work really good so far. My goal is to hide the layer lines completely. My printer isn't exactly the best when it comes to layer consistency, so I will need more than one layer of filler.

This is the rear hood and the dashboard after just some normal filler and then a layer of spray filler.

Then you sand it down again to hide the uneven layers.

And then lay down another layer of spray primer... You can see that the part is already almost completely smooth

The side "sills" of the monocoque are also super smooth without any layer lines. I have a plan to make these look like carbon fibre, which will be fun to experiment with :)

JohannesaGunnarson

Postby JohannesaGunnarson » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:34 pm

I have now printed the remaining pieces of the front hood and started to apply filler to them as well.

The doors are also printed and have received a coat of both normal filler and spray filler.

I have now started to paint the first part as well, which is the monocoque. You can see how smooth the surface on the door sill is... Painting them black is the first step to making them look like carbon fibre. The remaining steps will follow later ;)

I hope that I will get similar results when painting the body panels in the metallic blue colour later on :D

I have also printed the left side board. At Koenigsegg it is called the rocker panel.

JohannesaGunnarson

Postby JohannesaGunnarson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:35 pm

I have just painted the first part with the blue metallic colour. And I'm not disappointed in the result, just one layer without clear coat looks this good. Just imagine what the whole car will look like in this colour + gold accent colour (as the Agera RSR I'm trying to recreate).

I also tried just as a test to paint it in red metallic colour, but I like blue more :)

The door sill carbon fibre look is also almost completed. It isn't completely perfect, but I don't think that I will achieve better results with this technique.

I did this by first painting the surface black, then applying a fine mosquito-net to the surface. Then just spray a light coat of silver paint. It looks kind of like carbon fibre. Good enough for me. I will also spray this with clear coat later on to get a deeper look.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 am

Nice!! :) What paints are you using? I've changed the name of "Side Boards" to "Rocker Panels" now, correct should be correct. :D

JohannesaGunnarson

Postby JohannesaGunnarson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 am
Nice!! :) What paints are you using? I've changed the name of "Side Boards" to "Rocker Panels" now, correct should be correct. :D
I'm using a combination of hagmans spray filler, biltema wall filler, biltema paint, montana gold and Montana metallic paint. Se (hlstore.com)

JohannesaGunnarson

Postby JohannesaGunnarson » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:32 pm

I am almost finished printing all of the parts that I will need for my model.

I had some problems with my printer lately, so the progress has been slow.

But it is now running great again. You can't expect a cheap Chinese printer to run perfectly through a large project like this ;)

I have now tried to loosely fit all of the main body parts, and I must say it looks amazing even without all of the finishing work done :)

The next challenge will be to print the tires in TPU filament. I have some old TPU which is silver. So I will have to try to paint the tires with a black paint that doesn't crack when bent.

JohannesaGunnarson

Postby JohannesaGunnarson » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:33 pm

Both I and my printer have been quiet for a while now, and there is a good reason for it. I have not printed any parts the whole week. I have been waiting on this :D

Yes, that is a Prusa I3 MK3s. After many hours of assembling the printer, I have now started to print out the remaining parts for the Agera RS. I am extremely happy with the printer so far. As you can see here on the roof scoop, I don't even think I will do any post-processing on these small parts printed in Add-north Textura filament. The finish is so good anyway. And this is just my fourth print so far, so there is still room for improvement with settings and so on :)

The layer lines are completely invisible, and the surface feels extremely smooth. And this is "only" at .15 layers!

Then I tried one of the headlights, and once again I'm impressed. This would not be achievable on my old printer.

So my first 3d printed Agera RS will be made 90% by the Wanhao I3 Plus, and the last 10% (hopefully) on the Prusa :)

JohannesaGunnarson

Postby JohannesaGunnarson » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:09 pm

I have unfortunately made little progress the last month. It takes a lot of hours to make every part perfect. But I haven't done an update for some time, so I will post one now. I don't like public facebook groups so I will continue posting here.

What I've done is basically wet sand all of the parts to make them smooth. Without paint, they look perfect. But I painted the roof as a test and I must use finer grit sandpaper and sand more. It looks really good as it is but you can still see some minor imperfections.

Looks good if you don't look close (and this is without clear coat)

But as far as I know, 95% of the parts are printed and pretty much ready to be painted. You can see most of them in this picture.

Next update I hope that you will see a partially assembled car :D