Couplings! Anyone found any good method or parts?

This is the building forum for the Combat Boat 90. If you are interested in the STL's for this project, they are available to those who help me by contributing 15 Euro. Then you get access to a sub-forum where STL's, instructions and mods are located.
admin
Site Admin

Couplings! Anyone found any good method or parts?

Postby admin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:32 am

For those who has built the original size, what couplings have you used? The printed ones I made was as described just for initial testing and they are clearly not up to the job for very long, at least not in PLA. There are of course many different ways of connecting shafts and traditionally in smaller model boats a thick PVC hose pr shrink tube is used.

I would like to know if anyone has found any off-the-shelf couplings with set-screws that can be used for the project? (or any other convenient method for that matter).

Kylecox1019

Re: Couplings! Anyone found any good method or parts?

Postby Kylecox1019 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 am

admin wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:32 am
For those who has built the original size, what couplings have you used? The printed ones I made was as described just for initial testing and they are clearly not up to the job for very long, at least not in PLA. There are of course many different ways of connecting shafts and traditionally in smaller model boats a thick PVC hose pr shrink tube is used.

I would like to know if anyone has found any off-the-shelf couplings with set-screws that can be used for the project? (or any other convenient method for that matter).
I have been using amazon.com for most my odds and ends. I don’t know about international shipping but I did find these and they come in multiples sizes as well as adapter for different size ends.

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Coupli ... th=1&psc=1

Or something if you have an angle in tour driveline. These are the ones I will be using but in 5mm-5mm.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Coupling-U ... 0cnVl&th=1

Morgan8er

Re: Couplings! Anyone found any good method or parts?

Postby Morgan8er » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:05 pm

the distance between the motor shaft and jet drive housing and shaft is VERY short...I'm going to turn a short piece of brass with set screws for both sides, just like the suggested brass dogbone in the previous post...but shorter...much shorter; like 1/2 as long? Anyone else have any other suggestions?