About the OS-Railway project

Forum about the OS-Railway project available on Thingiverse. Here you can ask questions, look at building pictures, share ideas, pictures and STL's.
admin
Site Admin

Re: About the OS-Railway project

Postby admin » Thu May 02, 2019 6:10 pm

hmm, still not sure, do you have a picture?

sigterm

Postby sigterm » Mon May 27, 2019 10:19 am

Hello, great job with the ICE train!

I just came across inconsistencies in instructions how to assemble the hardest part - the boogie on hector rail. since you updated the boogie to v2, there is old picture on thingiverse page of Hector with distances between wheels and types of wheels. when i assembled the boogie from v2 parts, it could not move at all!
also you state that 2mm shaft should be used - which I think is incorrect, you state that on , because they would wobble in 3mm ID bearings. I found out that in step file of thingiverse motorized boogie, there are correct dimension and correct wheels, but they are not in text form in description.

maybe if you would remove the boogie instructions from hector and update the instruction on boogie page with updated schema picture (not everyone will realize that he has to open STEP file), more people will have easier time to build your railway.

well and in particular wagons, the boogie instruction are missing completely.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi!

Thanks for highlighting this! I clearly must go through it!

One thing though, I don't understand what you mean with "have to open STEP file"? Those are only included for those who want to modify the bogie, it's not needed if you buy a regular 16mm DC-motor with planetary gear the same diameter.

Again, thanks for letting me know, I upload so much stuff so it's easy to miss things. :)

sigterm

Postby sigterm » Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 am

well, opening the STEP file Motorized_boogie_V2.step is the only way how to get correct distances between elements (by measuring in 3d-tool or something like that). The instructions on Hector are simply wrong now. (attachments). Also it states that "connecting shaft" must be 2mm, which is wrong.
also the gears are different on hector instructions and in the STEP file.
Attachments
connecting shaft wrong.PNG
connecting shaft wrong.PNG (40.4 KiB) Viewed 89 times
instructions1.jpeg
instructions1.jpeg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 89 times

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. I've updated the hardware list to 3mm.

Also good thing you mentioned opening the STEP for dimensions as it's not meant for that, it is meant for those who like to modify the things. Luckily the dimensions seem to be somewhat OK there, but this is a matter of adjusting. I cannot specify exact dimensions that will work with all prints, quality varies and the gears are so small so a given position on one print might not be suitable for another. it's a matter of adjusting until it runs smooth and don't snag or skip.

I've included a dimension drawing on the motorized bogie page now and written in the description that the dimensions are indicative.

Thanks for pointing these things out, it gives me a chance to improve thing as I probably would not have spotted this myself.