About the OS-Railway project

Forum about the OS-Railway project available on Thingiverse. Here you can ask questions, look at building pictures, share ideas, pictures and STL's.
admin
Site Admin

Re: About the OS-Railway project

Postby admin » Thu May 02, 2019 6:10 pm

hmm, still not sure, do you have a picture?

sigterm

Postby sigterm » Mon May 27, 2019 10:19 am

Hello, great job with the ICE train!

I just came across inconsistencies in instructions how to assemble the hardest part - the boogie on hector rail. since you updated the boogie to v2, there is old picture on thingiverse page of Hector with distances between wheels and types of wheels. when i assembled the boogie from v2 parts, it could not move at all!
also you state that 2mm shaft should be used - which I think is incorrect, you state that on , because they would wobble in 3mm ID bearings. I found out that in step file of thingiverse motorized boogie, there are correct dimension and correct wheels, but they are not in text form in description.

maybe if you would remove the boogie instructions from hector and update the instruction on boogie page with updated schema picture (not everyone will realize that he has to open STEP file), more people will have easier time to build your railway.

well and in particular wagons, the boogie instruction are missing completely.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi!

Thanks for highlighting this! I clearly must go through it!

One thing though, I don't understand what you mean with "have to open STEP file"? Those are only included for those who want to modify the bogie, it's not needed if you buy a regular 16mm DC-motor with planetary gear the same diameter.

Again, thanks for letting me know, I upload so much stuff so it's easy to miss things. :)

sigterm

Postby sigterm » Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 am

well, opening the STEP file Motorized_boogie_V2.step is the only way how to get correct distances between elements (by measuring in 3d-tool or something like that). The instructions on Hector are simply wrong now. (attachments). Also it states that "connecting shaft" must be 2mm, which is wrong.
also the gears are different on hector instructions and in the STEP file.
Attachments
connecting shaft wrong.PNG
connecting shaft wrong.PNG (40.4 KiB) Viewed 20855 times
instructions1.jpeg
instructions1.jpeg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 20855 times

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. I've updated the hardware list to 3mm.

Also good thing you mentioned opening the STEP for dimensions as it's not meant for that, it is meant for those who like to modify the things. Luckily the dimensions seem to be somewhat OK there, but this is a matter of adjusting. I cannot specify exact dimensions that will work with all prints, quality varies and the gears are so small so a given position on one print might not be suitable for another. it's a matter of adjusting until it runs smooth and don't snag or skip.

I've included a dimension drawing on the motorized bogie page now and written in the description that the dimensions are indicative.

Thanks for pointing these things out, it gives me a chance to improve thing as I probably would not have spotted this myself.

Aureliohdez

Postby Aureliohdez » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:46 pm

hello there is some tutorial on how to assemble the trains there are no instructions and it is somewhat complicated I hope you can publish an emsamble manual for the trains and especially for the Z70 Locomotive

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi! thanks for asking, It's really time to fix some better instruction material for this! I'll try to put something out as soon as possible.
But gnerally the workflow is as follows:

1. remove a little bit of the edge of the bearing houses so that you can push the bearings in place. I use a vice in order to press fit the bearings in but it's probably possible with a pair of pliers if you're careful not to damage the bearings.

2. prepare wheel axles. I've used carbon fiber so cut carbon fiber rod in the length specified on the Thingiverse page.

3. Make sure the gears and wheels have the right inner diameter. This can be done with a 3mm drill bit.

4. Place the wheels on the shafts according to the dimensions specified on the thingiverse page. When they are in place as well as the gear, put a mall drop of CA-glue to fix them in place, unless they are sitting so tight that they are hard to move, then you can just leave them without glue as it's then easier if you need to adjust them later.

5. place O-rings on the wheels for traction.

6. If you haven't printed a piece of track, do so now so that you can test the wheels and axles on the rail, the wheels should not sit tight on the track, there should be room for them to move a bit sideways, otherwise the train will not be able to navigate curves and especially not turnouts.

7. Prepare the motor mount by placing the pinion (drive gear) on the motor shaft and place the motor in the motor mount plate.
Do NOT glue the motor in place, at least yet. You need to be able to adjust its height so that it engages the gear on the wheel axle.

8. Screw the motor plate and motor in place on the chassis.

9. Place the rear wheel axle (containing drive gear and wheels) in place and check so that the gears are in the right place.

10. Screw the bearing houses in place, thus securing the wheel axles in place (also for the forward wheel axle). Now you might need to adjust the height of the motor in the motor plate, so that the gears are aligned.

11. Now it's time for the electronics. (see schematic on the thingiverse-page).

12. I suggest adding weights in order for the train to get better traction, I used weights meant to balance car rims. They come already prepared with adhesive tape and are quite small so they can be stacked neatly, just make sure they don't interfere with the body so test often while you are adding weights so that you can get the body on the chassis.

13. Last thing is to screw screw the body to the chassis.

Hope this gives an idea of the workflow so that you can start experimenting at least, but I'll try to make better instruction material as soon as i can.

SteamAlex

Postby SteamAlex » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:19 am

Hey!

First things first: wow - what a great project you started!

As I am currently in the process of constructing a steam locomotive (see attached picture of work in progress) that fits the OS-system, I have been looking for the correct coupler height. I could not find any measurements and tried to find them by assembling a truck in cad.
Can you confirm that the coupling pocket starts at the bottom 6 mm above the rail, while its top is 12.5 mm above the rail?

Thank you very much and greetings!
Alex
0-6-0_steam_switcher.jpg
0-6-0_steam_switcher.jpg (74.34 KiB) Viewed 14376 times

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:23 am

Nice! :)

Yes that is correct!